Thursday, March 13, 2008

"GO, DIEGO, GO" in Memphis at the Orpheum Theater

CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? DIEGO CAME TO MEMPHIS THE SAME WEEKEND WE DID! We went to the safety luncheon earlier in the day. I just realized that I forgot to post the images from earlier in the day first. So this day will be post backwards...which will mean it will actually appear on the blog in the order. Okay, I know that's confusing. This was our last day in Memphis. Originally we had intended to come home after the banquet, but when I realized the "Go, Diego, Go Live" was just a few blocks from our hotel, I couldn't go home w/o taking Natalie. So we stayed an extra night. Cameron went on back to Baton Rouge. He had tests on Monday that he need to get home to study for. So Cari moved into our room. Randy went back to the gin show to visit w/some friends and contacts. Cari and I went to do a little shopping and then came back to our room to get Natalie a nap so that she would be rested for the show. While shopping we wanted to take Natalie to see the big carousel rocking horse. It was located in front of one of the shops at the Peabody Hotel. These particular shops were closed on Saturday (Jewish owners?), but I was still nervous about her rocking on this. I was afraid we would break the glass window! ISN'T THIS SOMETHING EVERY LITTLE GIRL SHOULD OWN...HER OWN LIFE SIZE CAROUSEL ROCKING HORSE! It really was beautiful!
Cari and Natalie in front of the sign before we went in to the theater. We saw another group photographing in front of this sign...so we didn't want to miss this photo op!
Natalie and me...
Natalie and her Aunt Cari before the show started.
I did not take my good camera equipment because I was afraid it would be too much to keep up with since it was just the three of us with really just two of us to keep up with Natalie and often it takes two. One of us to handle her and the other one for a small bag...so the camera sound like too much. I sort of wished I had it when I saw the beauty of this theater that was built in 1928. It was absolutley gorgeous. But of course, my little point and shoot didn't exactly capture that, but this image gives you an idea.
Though I was glad when they annouced before the show started no video or photography allowed. I guess they thought we would capture some great images and sell them online and people wouldn't come to the show. I don't know...
But I just wanted a few so Natalie can remember going to her first live show. So when I saw a few peoples flashes going off, I did do a few too. The lighting was low so it's not like I got anything that awesome, but good enough for her little memories. This one is Baby Jaguar and Diego.
Natalie watching. She loved it.

Diego and Dora (the exporer, of course) Dora made her grand entrance after intermission.
This is toward the end of the show..."the carnival".
That's some serious watching, uh?
Natalie enjoyed the show tremendously. She cried when we got up to leave. I think she thought it was like a DVD. She said it was coming on again and didn't want to leave because she wanted to watch it again. Then when I convinced her that it was ending and not coming back on, she noticed many kid's wearing Diego backpacks and insisted she needed one of those. I had bought her tee shirt as we came in. She has many back packs. So I tried seriously to convince that they had sold out of the back packs....yes, that was my cheap way of saying no, you already have a souvenir. She soon forgot all about it because her poppa was waiting for us outside the theater with a horse and carriage! This Natalie "cheesing" for me. She really was excited about her carriage ride!

Of course, I realized it was much cooler than we got there since it was now dark. The dog, the carriage driver's companion, appears very curious about Natalie. She had fun petting him too.
Okay, another "cheese" smile now that she has her hat on.
Back to the Peabody in style. Natalie posing with her poppa.
Not a great photo, but I needed some kind of angle with the whole set up and I couldn't get it from a side view.
One more pose with the horse...
This concluded our excitement in Memphis. We had supper at TGI Friday's. The next morning we got ready to come in. I didn't document that day. I should have. Natalie looked cute as usually, but we had a very interesting morning trying to leave the hotel. We waiting almost two hours to leave. We were waiting for the bell hop (or whatever you call them) to come up with a cart to load our luggage. I finally decided it was time to go home. We had called for the bell hop and for our car to be brought our to leave. So I started down to the loading area with some luggage. That's were we discovered lots of people and lots of carts loaded with luggage. These people were waiting on their car to be brought to them. I saw our car out there. So I took our load, but not before I asked a bell hop when they would be going to our room (where were in the line up). He went up right then to get our stuf. It seems there was some big mix up. These people had their luggage on a cart, but no car. We had our car, but no cart for our luggage. We have stayed at the Peabody many times on the trips, but I have never seen it get like this. Something went really bad wrong in their system.

Natalie fell asleep before we ever got to interstate. We had intended to get a late breakfast when we left...which then turned into lunch. I hate that she fell asleep before eating, but she had snacked on a lot of Planter's peanuts while waiting. So I was thinking that would hold her til she woke up and I was hoping she would sleep half way home (which was what she did coming). We stopped a few miles outside of Memphis for gas and McDonald's. Well, again there was big mix up and we waited and waited at McDonald's. So since there car was idle for so long she woke up. She had been alseep for about 30 minutes or so. She stayed awake on the rest of the trip home and was very good! It was almost 6:00 pm when we got home. I could not belive she was that good and w/o a nap. I never would have expected that.

Okay, that's all I have for our Memphis trip...no I just remembered that I am out sequence. I still have a few images to post from earlier in the day before the luncheon.

I don't know what I will post next. I want to go back and catch up on the images from October through February, but I already so behind on so many things. I will try...
But that's if for now.
~~Natalie's Mimi~~







No comments: